Subscribe to RSS Feed

Friday, July 17, 2009

Courage, love, sacrifice

Tiger was a lean, short-haired pale golden tabby tom with dazzling lime-green eyes. He was a cool cat with a strong personality. I've had him since he was a kitten. He was a good pet, yet I knew he still had this wild side inside of him. I allowed him to become wild every once in a while, letting him live independently. I'm sure the other cats wouldn't believe he was a pampered pet cat at home. He was smart. He knew exactly how to live his life.

And then there was Smoke. He was a ragged dark grey-brown tom with shaggy long fur with piercing yellow eyes. He seemed to have his own clan of stray cats and was considered the leader. Those cats probably lived in the empty abandoned house right in front of mine, as they were usually seen coming in and out of that place, hidden between tall, unkempt grass.

Tiger grew up to be a healthy adult tomcat. He soon found a mate; a stunningly beautiful white she-cat with sparkling blue eyes. He sired her 3 kittens. I never got to know her truly, but I can tell that she was a gentle mother and a perfect mate for my handsome Tiger. I once saw the whole family going out together. It was very sweet...

This is the story of my cat, Tiger. A story of courage, love and sacrifice.

One day, I returned from school and went straight to the dining room. Under it, 2 cats were fighting. It was Smoke and Tiger's mate. My maid was nearby with a broom in her hands, trying to shun the shrieking cats out of the house. I just witnessed a murder. Smoke escaped soon after, leaving behind a messy white and red body, under our dining table.

Still in shock, I just stared at her. My maid took her out to bury her. Shortly after that, Tiger returned home, coming through the front door, back from his usual afternoon day out. He stopped in his tracks when he sniffed the air in the house. Immediately, he turned back and ran straight into the old house in front of ours. The lair of the wild cats.

"No! Tiger! Come back!"

I called after him repeatedly. He sped right through the tall grass and was out of sight. I was worried. I grew more and more anxious when he didn't come back home that night. And the day after. And another day passed by without him around the house.

Until that dusk, I was about to retreat into the house before it gets too dark, when I heard a weak, throaty meow from behind me.

I spun around and saw Tiger, covered in numerous serious wounds all over his face and body. Some sort of white-yellowish liquid and blood dripped all over him, too.

"Tiger!" I exclaimed in surprise, tears welling up in my eyes.

I approached him quickly and gently touched the side of his jaws. He fell down weakly and meowed slowly again, looking up at me with a relieved look in his lime-green eyes. I called my mother and maid in obvious panic.

They came and told me that coconut juice would help lessen his pain or something. I didn't remember. I was too sad, too devastated to see my favourite cat in such a pathetic state. I let them wipe away all the blood on him and apply whatever remedy they had with them, while I watched helplessly. I was young. I couldn't do anything. I could only cry. Tears flowed out of my eyes non-stop. I sobbed while I muttered his name over and over again.

Once my mother and maid were done with treating Tiger, when they thought they couldn't have done anything more, we placed him in his old cage. We didn't want him to wander off unexpectedly in that condition. Everyone went back inside the house. I lingered behind for a bit, to stare at him, wrapped in bandages, one of his eyes closed, caused by a nasty scratch. He only lied down quietly and watched me with his one good eye. I whispered his name for one last time that night, and finally went inside, to bed.

The next morning, I woke up and found out that he had already died. Again, I cried. Even more. I couldn't bear losing him at the time. I just kept on crying. Oh, the agony...

Tiger... I miss you...

But I was proud of you. No, I am proud of you. I always will be. You were so patient and strong. You didn't struggle or scream in pain when you were being treated. I know.. it must've hurt. You were very noble and brave. You avenged your mate's death by taking on the whole clan of stray cats. I believe you have defeated them for good, because I never saw Smoke or any of his subordinates again since that day.

You told a knightly story, Tiger.

My courageous cat who sacrificed himself for the sake of love.

1 critiques:

ariff dean said...

oh my, what a really nice story
pity of what happened to Tiger though T_T

Post a Comment

 
Free Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver